Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oscar Picks

UPDATE: ugh...not one of my better years. 4 for 6 on the big awards and 10 for 17 overall. About as dismal as that godforsaken telecast...holy Christ, do I miss David Letterman and his earnest awkwardness as opposed to the excruciating, interminable song/dance numbers and the WTF-montages of films in 2008. Did I really need a 7-minute treatise to inform me that there were a bunch of dramas released last year? They need to get Jon Stewart (or even Steve Martin and Tina Fey) to host next year and quick.

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Director: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire

Best Actor: Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler Sean Penn, Milk

Best Actress: Kate Winslet, The Reader

Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

Best Supporting Actress: Taraji P. Henson, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Penelope Cruz, Vicky Christina Barcelona

Best Original Screenplay: Dustin Lance Black, Milk

Best Adapted Screenplay: Simon Beaufoy, Slumdog Millionaire

Best Foreign Language Film: Waltz With Bashir (Israel) Departures (Japan)

Best Cinematography: Anthony Dod Mantle, Slumdog Millionaire

Best Art Direction: Nathan Crowley & Peter Lando, The Dark Knight The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Best Costume Design: Jacqueline West, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button The Duchess

Best Documentary Feature: Man On A Wire

Best Film Editing: Chris Dickens, Slumdog Millionaire

Best Makeup: Greg Cannom, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Best Original Score: Alexandre Desplat, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Slumdog Millionaire

Best Original Song: Peter Gabriel & Thomas Newman, "Down To Earth", WALL-E "Jai Ho" Slumdog Millionaire

3 comments:

Greg said...

I tried to watch a part of this, but watching Hugh Jackman doing the "French Mistake" a la Blazing Saddles was too much.

Anonymous said...

While we agree on virtually nothing politically your take on the Oscars was pretty much right on! I must admit Penn was awesome as Milk and was my choice. As a die hard Meryl Streep fanatic I chose both her and Vi Davis for their performances in Doubt however.Where have you gone Billy Crystal or David Letterman?

Hoffmann said...

I miss you. But I'm boycotting Founding Fathers. I don't know how else to contact you, so I posted on your blog. Which is something you haven't done in a long time.