Friday, August 31, 2007

Friday YouTube Nugget

Chenquieh, jagshemash:

This week's nugget derives from my embarrassing devotion to finding new music through TV ads. I'm sure you've all seen that hip Dell Inspiron ad with a bunch of artsy types creating all sorts of interesting scenes with the aid of their laptops....anyhoo, the song in the ad is ultra-catchy and, when I looked it up, discovered it was the amazing Flaming Lips!

So, in the tradition of Nick Drake's "Pink Moon" (Volkswagen) and the Kinks' "Picture Book" (HP), I give you "W.A.N.D." by the Flaming Lips. Thanks, Madison Avenue.


2 comments:

alanna said...

Oh my god! I know this is late but i have the same embarrassing devotion. In fact I've asked everyone I know about that Picture Book song with no results. So glad i checked your blog. Every time I see that damn commercial it burns me to not know who it is and where i can get it should I decide. Thanks!

The Humanist said...

No problem...I'm so ashamed that there's so much great and undiscovered music out there that I only know through an ad on TV...oh well.

"Picture Book" is one of many great songs from the Kinks. I'd recommend picking up "The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society" (the song is from this album) as well as "The Ultimate Collection" for a nice slice of the best 60's Brit Pop.