Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday YouTube Nugget - Double Feature!

All righty then....before I post my uber-serious post on what happened to me last weekend, I must enter this week's YouTube lost treasure. This week's selection has very special meaning to me as I discovered this band in the spring of 1986 when I was on a school trip to Spain. So there I was, basking in the loveliness of Asturias in the north of Spain, attending school with my host and struggling to converse in Spanish. I spent my idle time in the music shops looking for European versions of Beatles LPs (I was, and still am, a fanatic and since I owned every Beatles album released in the US, I was searching for rarities or alternate versions available only in Europe). I struck gold with an original Euro release of Sgt. Peppers, but I fell in love with a group I heard in a disco one night. I found out (after a tortured conversation with my host) that the name of the group was Black and I hastily bought the LP. I listened to it for hours and it got me through a lot of difficult times on that trip and after I returned to the States. I don't know if the band did jack shit after this album, but I love them to death. So, in honor of a special memory of mine from two decades ago, I present Black and their two hits from 1986: Wonderful World and Everything's Coming Up Roses



for more info on Colin Vearncombe and Black, here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_(English_band)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is still a great singer!