Monday, July 23, 2007

Shopping with Trent Lott


So....I'm in NYC over the weekend visiting my friend, the high-powered international financier from London. It was a gorgeous day on Saturday, so we walked around the City, concentrating mostly on Designer Row on 5th Ave since my friend is such a clotheshorse. We stopped into the Brooks Brothers store and he immediately announced he had to dial into a conference call for work....which left me wandering around a pretentious, hideously overpriced men's clothing store for the better part of 40 minutes.


Just at the point where I was considering delivering a wet sneeze into the $80 tie collection, I noticed an slightly older gentleman enter the store, dressed in a conventional blue shirt/khaki combo. He immediately looked familiar, but I couldn't place him....then it hit me:

"Hi - I'm extremely uncomfortable around colored folk"


I was standing no more than 15 feet away from Trent Lott. Senator. Racist. Asshole. Hypocrite. Devil Spawn. I had a million things to say to that imperial jackass, but I could do nothing more than stare.

I have to give him credit for this....he walked in that store solo....no entourage, no bodyguards. It takes balls for someone like him to walk around NYC without protection. Then again, people in NYC probably don't give two shits about him or his party. He just went along his merry way, buying some socks and a belt. A belt to whip some uppity black people, no doubt.

So, that's my celebrity sighting story for this weekend. Maybe next weekend, I'll see the zombie Strom Thurmond strolling around the Hall of Fame ceremonies in Cooperstown.

No comments: