Thursday, September 27, 2007

The genius that was SCTV

I had an opportunity to surf the Web at work (an uncommon occurrence, I assure you) and was in the mood to listen to a little 80's cheese pop. To be precise, any song I remember from 1980-1982 that's marked by one or more trademarks of this hallowed genre:

- drowning in synthesizers
- weird voice effects
- banal lyrics that have as much weight and meaning as a half-eaten Twinkie
- video shot on Betamax tape with a production budget of about $9.95


So I found what I was looking for in the insipid Chilliwack hit from 1981 - "My Girl (Gone, Gone, Gone):








But, lo and behold, there was another YouTube listing for "My Girl"....this one done by the comic geniuses at SCTV...I didn't even remember this episode, but this had me in stitches:


You don't have to remember the song or the times to enjoy this. Pure gold.

No comments: