Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Desert Island Discs

This post was inspired by a comment I just left on Mr. Livingston's haughty blog (35 books on the Telegraph's list of Greatest Library? Congrats, nerd....I have 100% of the items from Penthouse's Greatest Bachelor Pad). I mentioned that I own all of the Top 20 albums which have been recognized as the Greatest of All Time (this site will suck you in worse than heroin - http://www.besteveralbums.com/overall.php) and it got me to thinking....while I enjoy and respect these landmark albums, do really listen to them anymore? I don't think I've sat down and listened to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, for example, in a good decade because I listened to it non-stop for the decade before that. Also, I find parts of The Joshua Tree excruciating.

So what, then, do I consider the greatest albums of all time? Placed in the context of a popular parlour game, which 10 CDs do take with me to the desert island to enjoy for the remainder of my time on Earth? The only rules are:


  • no Greatest Hits
  • no live albums
  • rock n' roll only.....assume this island has a deep library of classical, jazz, spoken-word, etc.
  • no movie soundtracks
1) Songs In The Key Of Life, Stevie Wonder (1976)
2) Odelay!, Beck (1996)
3) A Rush of Blood To The Head, Coldplay (2002)
4) Electric Ladyland, Jimi Hendrix (1968)
5) American Beauty, Grateful Dead (1970)
6 Are You Gonna Go My Way, Lenny Kravitz (1993)
7) All Things Must Pass, George Harrison (1970)
8) Imagine, John Lennon (1971)
9) Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Black Sabbath (1973)
10) At War With The Mystics, The Flaming Lips (2006)

Feel free to add yours in the Comments...

3 comments:

goose said...

Excellent post!

As of right now, mine would be:

"Elephant"-The White Stripes
"A Rush of Blood To the Head"-Coldplay
"Rubber Soul"-The Beatles
"Rooney"-Rooney
"A Lesson in Crime"-Tokyo Police Club
"Carnavas"-Silversun Pickups
"The Doors"-"The Doors"
"Mellon-Collie and the Infinite Sadness"-The Smashing Pumpkins (can it please count as only 1?)
"The Sun and the Moon"-The Bravery
"The Wanderer"-O.A.R.

*I reserve a spot for "Love At the End of the World"-Sam Roberts, as it has not been released yet, but from initial sounds, it could be really excellent.

goose said...

Crap, I forgot "Room on Fire"-The Strokes. Damn you and your 10 album games, it's too hard to choose!!!

Greg said...

Evildoers Beware - Mustard Plug
First Impressions of Earth - Strokes
Drunken Lullabies - Flogging Molly
The Strangest Things - Longwave
The Last Broadcast - Doves
Turn the Radio Off - Reel Big Fish

...damn, out of time...